Fiona

You wrote:
> I have a student who cannot use a mouse (or any alternative that requires
> him to use his hands).  Does anyone know of such an alternative that he
> could purchase.

There are a number of options some of which you may have already tried and
all of which have pros and cons:

        Speech input systems - hard work for intensive use and not really
suitable for freehand mousing (like say for painting).
        Foot operated devices - such as the Footmouse or 'kids' trackballs
such as MS EasyBall or the Kidsball.
        Head pointing devices - Headmaster, Headmouse, etc

Does the student actually need access to the mouse? Most office applications
work okay from the keyboard and MouseKeys can be used for bits that don't
have proper KB alternatives.

Hope this helps

Phil