Date sent:              Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:22:57 +0100
Send reply to:          "Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff."              <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   Bryan Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: adrenalin injections
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> So we are agreed then, let them die.  This is of course
> ridiculous.  Stabbing someone with an Epi-Pen in the upper
> arm, through their clothing if necessary, can be acheived
> by a child.  But perhaps not by a Jobsworth.

this is equally not very helpful, as a first aider you are told that any treatment
you give is non invasive. No ifs, no buts. If you want to do something else you
will not be covered insurance wise unless it has been setup in advance.

Unless you have been trained in the use of the Epi-pen or even look at the
instructions before, how do you know if it will function correctly has it been
maintained properly , is the antitoxin still in date will, if not will it do more harm.
these are just some of the problems the first aider might face, which other first
aid recommendations do you consider first aiders ignore....

So I suggest that you have a look at the sample protocol from the Anaphylaxis
Campaign web page. This protocol is for schools but it should be possible to
adapt it for university need. That way everyone who needs to know, gets to
know in advance get to know and the first aiders can think about there
reactions in advance and not panic when faced with the problem.
http://www.anaphylaxis.org.uk/protocol.html

Graham Rice, Technician

Computer Centre for People with Disabilities
University of Westminster
72 Great Portland Street
London W1N 5AL

** The Central London Access Centre **

Tel: +44 020 7915 5428
Fax: +44 020 7911 5162

http://www.wmin.ac.uk/ccpd/

only and may be confidential.  If they have come to you in error you must
not copy or show them to anyone, nor should you take any action based on
them, other than to notify the error by replying to the sender.