Alison,

Well I would say that a person is an Interpreter (prefaced by trainee
or whatever as appropriate) or a Communication Support Worker (if they
have that qualification). If they are neither of these then I suppose
they might describe themselves as a Support Worker or Human Aid to
Communication but all parties should, IMO, then be aware that the
person is NOT a qualified interpreter or CSW and is employed in some
other capacity to facilitate communication as best they can.

ATB

Claire