With apologies for cross-posting.
__________________

Attributes of a Trusted Digital Repository

The second RLG-OCLC report intended to advance long-term retention of
digital research materials is now available for review and comment. You
can find "Attributes of a Trusted Digital Repository: Meeting the Needs of
Research Resources" at http://www.rlg.org/longterm/attributes01.pdf.It
is, or will be very shortly, linked to from
http://www.oclc.org/digitalpreservation and http://www.oclc.org/presres.
On the morning of August 31, both organizations will be announcing the
report in news releases at our web sites.

This 52-page PDF document is intended to prompt consideration and
discussion worldwide. To help achieve an international consensus and shape
next steps, we need dialog on the standards, criteria, and mechanisms for
certifying digital information repositories. We encourage your input --
please comment to [log in to unmask] by October 12, 2001.

While intended primarily for research institutions and specifically for
libraries and archives, this report contains guidance and recommendations
applicable to any organization interested in long-term maintenance of and
continuing access to digital materials. It highlights some key strategic
issues as it focuses on practical assistance to administrators and
implementers of digital archiving services.

Robin L. Dale
RLG Member Programs & Initiatives
1200 Villa Street
Mountain View, CA  94041-1100