-----

Hi all,
I am currently working on my doctoral thesis which, explores the social significance of body wholeness, in relation to infants and the work of pathologists.
Although when putting together my research proposal I anticipated interviewing parents affected by organ retention issues, I have for a number of reasons become increasingly concerned about the 'ethical' aspects of such an approach.
Much of the literature that I have accessed so far on the topic of interviewing potentially vulnerable research participants, leaps to discussions of safeguards that can be built in to the research project to protect participants, rather than focusing on whether the research method is ethically, or morally (I don't think these concepts are the same) justified in the first place.
Given that many parents feel that they have already had so much 'taken' from them without their permission, it concerns me that I may again be 'taking' from parents, without offering them much in return.  (albeit with rigorous consent given)
Discussing this with fellow students and members of staff, the response I often get is that I will be giving parents the opportunity to talk about their experiences, which, it is suggested, will be beneficial to them.  However, it concerns me that we have come to accept uncritically  the idea that it is 'good to talk'  I have read of interviewers taking courses in counselling so that they can be better prepared to assist vulnerable participants.
I know that many of you will have pertinent research experience, and would value your thoughts, or suggestions for reading material.
Kind Regards
Val

Valerie M Sheach Leith
Room f46