From: Duncan Smith [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2001 1:28 PM
To: 'Ian Welton'
Subject: RE: What purpose notification?

Ian,

Glad someone else questions the necessity for this process (see my
earlier msg. in the archives somewhere)

I believe it serves no valuable purpose, other than generating a revenue
for OIC : -)

If a data subject has a question or apprehension about giving details to
a data controller, they will ask them! Navigating their way to
dpr.gov.uk, or worse, a manual copy in a local library (anyone ever seen
one?) will only provide them with the barest minimum of information, and
is an additional step they do not need to take.

If they are not provided with required information from the data
controller at the point of obtaining, the data controller has broken the
law. If they can not be bothered to ask, are they really that concerned.

Let's put some commercial reality on this. If an individual wants my
products and services (be it an Msc in Business Studies or a new car)
the fact that I am Notified has NO bearing whatsoever on their
purchasing decision. This decision is based on things more familiar e.g.
value for money, location, colour sex appeal!

When (if) they exercise their rights, and question my use of their data,
I turn data protection legislation into customer relationship management
and WOW them with how important their information and rights are to me!
Telling them to go away and look up my Notification is not going to win
'hearts and minds'.

And whilst I am on the subject, once again why should 'consultancy and
advisory services' be singled out as having to notify? And does the fact
that this category of data controller appears to have been removed from
the latest Notification Guidance available on-line mean that I can get
my 35 quid back!

There, now I feel better

Duncan S Smith
Principal Consultant

e-mail: [log in to unmask]
gsm: +44 (0)777 556 8180

Company Profiles
"The process of Improvement"
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.   If you
material from any computer.

This footnote confirms that this email message has been swept by Norton
Antivirus software for the presence of computer viruses.

Company Profiles  Huntingdon UK +44(0)1480  461671