Tommy (and list)

I can't offer you a ready made list, but as you mention the CSA, I thought I would post the following in case it hasn't filtered down to anyone yet.

I am in receipt of a copy of a letter from the CSA addressed to the CX of all LAs in England, Scotland and Wales.

I can quote it word for word / send or fax a copy if anyone wants the full text, but it basically says that the powers of the CSA to gain access to data held by LAs has been significantly increased from 31 Jan 2001.

On that date, measures came into effect which (amongst others)

        Make it a criminal offence to fail to provide information required by   the CSA, or to provide false or misleading info.

and     Allow the Agency greater access to information held by the DVLA,        HMPS, companies and partnerships.........accountants and local       authorities.

The legal footnotes are as follows:- The CSA formerly had access only to info held (by LAs) in connection with claims for housing benefit and council tax (S3, Social Security Act 1998 which replaced Sched 2 Para 2 of the Child Support Act 1991).

Under provisions made in  an amendment to the Child Support (Information, Evidence and Disclosure) Regulations 1992, this has been widened by the Child Support, Pensions and Social Security Act 2000 (and supporting regulations) to include any information a local authority ay hold which will assist in identifying or tracing a non-resident parent, or in assessing or recovering child maintenance.

The letter goes on to say that they intend to make use of the new provisions to allow the Agency greater access to information, but that they do not expect this to lead to a significant increase in the volume of enquiries to LAs. They will always contact the non-resident parent first where possible and only where he/she is unco-operative and the CSA has exhausted all other avenues will a LA be approached.

The letter is dated 5 April and signed by Doug Smith, CX of the CSA. He says a copy of the letter will be posted on www.info4local.gov.uk

Dave U
South Gloucs Council

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it from South
Gloucestershire Council are confidential and intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed. If you have received this email in error
please notify the South Gloucestershire Council postmaster
 at the address below.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has
been swept for the presence of computer viruses.

            All user commands can be found at : -
    www.jiscmail.ac.uk/user-manual/summary-user-commands.htm
all commands go to [log in to unmask] not the list please!