  -----Original Message-----
  From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Chris Brogan
  Sent: 15 October 2001 11:43
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Subject: DPA Acces To Criminal Records

  Group,
  It has been a long established practice with some companies that before
employing an individual they would make them apply to the police for a copy
of their criminal record. Documentation would be received by the data
subject stating what he had or showing a clean sheet. This was then passed
onto the employer.
  I seem to recollect that this was referred to as enforced access and that
when Part V of the Police Act 1997 it would be unlawful under the data
protection act.
  Can anyone tell me if this has been altered or whether Part V has been
delayed.
  I am of the opinion that to operate such a system now would be an unlawful
act.
  I am familiar with Criminal record Bureau and what it will provide.
  I await your comments.
  Regards Chris Brogan