In some ways it is hard to identify an individual, however technology is
getting very good these days, where resolution of digital cameras are
getting better and better, when i was being shown around university's a few
years ago, (1999), I was being shown technology that students were
developing at Kingston University, where CCTV cameras were monitoring a car
park.

These cameras were not just recording the movements of cars but, the
computer attached to them was recording the colour of cars, the type i.e.
van, salon, hatch back. and also recording the number plate.  As well as
this it was also programmed to record information like medium build, short
black hair, white human. As well as this, it was able to record where the
persons moved in the car park by tracking there movements and recording the
path of the individuals this may be advanced technology in the making but it
was being developed 3 years ago so what is available today?

This system was able to recognise number plates, how do we know that the
same system can be used to read any text in any personal belongings you
have, for example if you walk into a shop, with advanced CCTV, how do we
know that the CCTV system is not equipped with high enough resolution to
read the information that is on the credit card. i.e. name, number expiry
date.  also any other identifiably information like the glimpse of a driving
licence as you open your wallet?  Hopefully most have seen the film "enemy
of the state", now I know its science fiction, however a lot of the
technology they described in the film was technology that authorities have
access to.

Does this breach data protection, as it is inevitably data held on a form of
technology, the information does not necessary need to be held on a hard
disk in a data base, for it to be classed as data on a system.

What are others thoughts on this?

David Smith
Student,
DeMontfort University, Leicester