I agree with Roger Fairman, Su Goulding, Charles Christacopoulos and
Tony Smith. I'm prepared to put up with occasional misuse of the list
(which in this recent case it would seem to be in error rather than
deliberate) so that input into the discussion is as wide-ranging as
possible.

Surely all we really want from JISCMail is 'reasonable' protection -
which I would argue - we have. (See JISCMail Acceptable Use Policy at
<http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/docs/policy.htm>).

I think it would be a pity to lose the use of the list archive as a
reference resource. At the moment anyone may look up a topic in the
data-protection archives for reference purposes without having to join
the list. This must be an important resource for all interested in the
practical application of the Act.

I believe that as a community we would lose more than we'd gain.

Jane

PS I have just received Sally's most recent message which suggests that
she will not alter access to the archives. But since mine gives the URL
for the relevant JISCMail policy I thought I'd send it anyway.

Jane Bex, Liaison Officer, Monitoring and Advisory Unit (MAU), Templeman
Library, University of Kent, Canterbury, Kent CT2 7NU
Tel: 01227 827742  Fax: 01227 823984 URL: http://www.mau.ac.uk/ Email:

            All user commands can be found at : -
    www.jiscmail.ac.uk/user-manual/summary-user-commands.htm
all commands go to [log in to unmask] not the list please!