[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Principle 2 states

 2. Personal data shall be obtained only for one or more specified and lawful
 purposes, and shall not be further processed in any manner incompatible with
 that purpose or those purposes.

 Ive always understood this to read for 'specified purposes'the requirements
 to notify via a register entry as per Part III

 Principle 2 explanatory notes state

 5. The purpose or purposes for which personal data are obtained may in
 particular be specified-

   (a) in a notice given for the purposes of paragraph 2 by the data
 controller to the data subject, '....or....'
   (b) in a notification given to the Commissioner under Part III of this
 Act.

 Does this 'or' make notification optional subject to a list of purposes
 (those which you would normally register) being given to data subjects when
 collecting data (as part of the fairness principle). Using this
 interpretation it appears to conflict with section III requirements.

 Conversely do I need to specify the 'purposes' of use under principle 1 as
 defined in its minimum requirements in Schedule 1 part 2 section 3 as I have
 made them 'readily available' (PartII section 2) given I have a public
 register entry. This could save a lot of caveat work and space on forms or
 time in telephone scripts etc. >>
-------

Dave

I may be wrong but I feel it could be another of those "grey areas" in that
the "or" may relate to whether the processing is manual or computerised (most
manual will probably not be registered) and whether it is "fair" under the
first principle to expect everyone to have access to the Internet (at present
the only method of access to the "public" register).

Ian Buckland
MD
Keep IT Legal Ltd

Please Note: The information contained in this document does not replace or
negate the need for proper legal advice and/or representation. It is
essential that you do not rely upon any advice given without contacting your
solicitor.  If you need further explanation of any points raised please
contact Keep I.T. Legal Ltd at the address below:

55 Curbar Curve
Inkersall, Chesterfield
Derbyshire  S43 3HP
(Reg 3822335)
Tel: 01246 473999
Fax: 01246 470742
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Website: www.keepitlegal.co.uk

            All user commands can be found at : -
    www.jiscmail.ac.uk/user-manual/summary-user-commands.htm
all commands go to [log in to unmask] not the list please!