[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Can anyone tell me if the obligation is on the original collector of the
 data to check if other organisations with whom the data may be shared (with
 the knowledge of the data subjects, of course) are notified under the DPA. >>
--------------
Jackie

Rather than the "original collector" of the data, I think we should be
talking about the "discloser" of the information.  They can be different.

If the discloser intends to give (or sell) the data to someone else they
should ask the recipient what they are going to use it for and if they have
notified the proposed purpose.

The reasons for this are that the discloser has to ensure that the proposed
purpose is compatible with the original reason for collection (and have
consent where necessary to pass it on) and any disclosure to "unregistered"
data controllers could be seen as "reckless".

One exception to this would be where the disclosure is required by law.

Ian Buckland
MD
Keep IT Legal Ltd

Please Note: The information contained in this document does not replace or
negate the need for proper legal advice and/or representation. It is
essential that you do not rely upon any advice given without contacting your
solicitor.  If you need further explanation of any points raised please
contact Keep I.T. Legal Ltd at the address below:

55 Curbar Curve
Inkersall, Chesterfield
Derbyshire  S43 3HP
(Reg 3822335)
Tel: 01246 473999
Fax: 01246 470742
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Website: www.keepitlegal.co.uk

            All user commands can be found at : -
    www.jiscmail.ac.uk/user-manual/summary-user-commands.htm
all commands go to [log in to unmask] not the list please!