[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Surely the exemption from the subject information provisions for crime
 and taxation purposes only applies to the extent that compliance with
 the provisions would be prejudicial to the purpose?  If you don't have
 signs for your CCTV cameras, aren't you in effect carrying out covert
 surveillance?  How could you justify this where, for example, you
 monitor a car park with CCTV? >>
----------
The exemption I was referring to was in relation to the First Principle -
informing the person of the identity of the controller and the purposes for
which the data will be processed.  NB you still have to meet Sched 2&3
conditions.  Covert surveillance can be carried out where a specific crime
has been identified (eg car theft) and so a camera could be installed without
signs to gather evidence.  It could then be disclosed under s29(3) and would
be exempt from s7 if supplying it to a data subject would prejudice the
criminal inquiry.

However, my advice would be to have signs up as it would allow other uses of
the images if necessary.

And the sign may act as a deterrent.

Ian B
MD
Keep IT Legal Ltd

Please Note: The information contained in this document does not replace or
negate the need for proper legal advice and/or representation. It is
essential that you do not rely upon any advice given without contacting your
solicitor.  If you need further explanation of any points raised please
contact Keep I.T. Legal Ltd at the address below:

55 Curbar Curve
Inkersall, Chesterfield
Derbyshire  S43 3HP
(Reg 3822335)
Tel: 01246 473999
Fax: 01246 470742
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Website: www.keepitlegal.co.uk

            All user commands can be found at : -
    www.jiscmail.ac.uk/user-manual/summary-user-commands.htm
all commands go to [log in to unmask] not the list please!