From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 11 February 2001 09:23
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Computer decommissioning

[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Its feasible that they can be structured simply as a processor and not
need
 a registration?  >>
---------------------
Possible, but then their advert would say "we can meet any security contract
term" rather than "registered under data protection".

If the machines are sold to the company, with them giving a guarantee that
they will wipe them clean (of programs as well as data) then they are
controllers and the seller's registration will include them as a disclosure.

If the possession does not pass to them until the contract to remove the
data
has been completed they could, theoretically, just be data processors.

Beware.  Some program licences do not allow you to sell (or pass) on, so you
might have to remove those yourselves before letting them go.

Ian B
MD
Keep IT Legal Ltd

Please Note: The information contained in this document does not replace or
negate the need for proper legal advice and/or representation. It is
essential that you do not rely upon any advice given without contacting your
solicitor.  If you need further explanation of any points raised please
contact Keep I.T. Legal Ltd at the address below:

55 Curbar Curve
Inkersall, Chesterfield
Derbyshire  S43 3HP
(Reg 3822335)
Tel: 01246 473999
Fax: 01246 470742
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Website: www.keepitlegal.co.uk

            All user commands can be found at : -
    www.jiscmail.ac.uk/user-manual/summary-user-commands.htm
all commands go to [log in to unmask] not the list please!