From: Paula Leon [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 09 February 2001 10:15
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Mail

Martin,

just to add:

I cannot see where consent would be required, as the post belongs to the
organisation anyway, because it should relate to business.

What would happen if some staff did not give consent, what would happen to
the post, if they were sick etc, may this well hinder the business itself.

perhaps need to let staff know that mail will be opened, unless marked
"private and confidential".

.....also where I work any personal letters directed to an employee from the
business, are as standard ,sent to the employees work/correspondence address
e.g letter from personnel re: pay,sickness, disciplinary etc

>>> Martin Tubbs <[log in to unmask]> 09/02/01 08:39:35 >>>
Hypothetically, if an organisation decided it wanted to open all the mail it
received (except that marked private & confidential) in its post room, would
it be at liberty to do that without obtaining consent from the staff?

Any comments would be most welcome.

Martin
   This electronic communication (and any attachment) is intended for the
above named only.  It may contain Private / Confidential information.  If it
has come to you in error, please take no action based upon it and neither
read it or copy it, nor cause its contents to be disclosed to others.  If
you realise an error has been made (or we notify you of an error) please
completely delete / destroy all electronic / hard copies and phone us (at
our expense) to let us know this has been done.

This message has been checked for all known viruses by UUNET delivered
http://www.uk.uu.net/products/security/virus/

This message has been checked for all known viruses by UUNET delivered
http://www.uk.uu.net/products/security/virus/

            All user commands can be found at : -
    www.jiscmail.ac.uk/user-manual/summary-user-commands.htm
all commands go to [log in to unmask] not the list please!