Jonathan Hodgetts asked about staff training:

Our programme has been the distribution of a summary of the new
Act's implications to all staff with payslips (is this marketing
in the Act's terms?!).

This was followed by seminars which I gave on open invitation to
all staff. So far about 200 have attended (out of 1600). I also
offered the seminar to individual faculties and departments and
have run a number of one off special sessions for various
sections.

The seminar comprises showing the ODPC video (Barry's bad data
day) which, to my surprise, has actually gone down well. When i
first showed it I asked for specific feedback on the video and
most thought it added to the session. This is followed by a more
detailed discussion about the Act and its provisions with an
open,
two way approach so that we normally end up discussing some
issues
raised by those present. The whole thing lasts about 90 minutes.

I have also had short (30 minute) sessions with various
management groups just to give a taste of the Act.

At all sessions I strongly encourage people to talk to me about
things they are doing or to contact me when setting up new
systems, forms etc.  This has produced a lot of positive contact.

John Hitches

J F Hitches
Data Protection Officer and
Information Security Officer
Kingston University
River House
53-57 High Street, Kingston upon Thames
Surrey, KT1 1LQ
Telephone/Fax: 020 8547 7768
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
The views expressed are those of the individual and
not necessarily those of the university.