We have recently had an instance where we received an email asking us to
pass it on to a student, if at this institution. This we did, but the
student was most concerned that no information as to their whereabouts
should go to the sender, and asked that we state that they were not here!

Hence we started to devise a policy to deal with all type of unsolicited
correspondence. See our first draft.

>       "University policy when in receit of unsolicited correspondence
> addressed to a possible student here.
>
>       The University policy is to neither confirm or deny that the person
> is a student of the institution. The intended recipient will checked
> against our database, in the case of letters and email. Letters and email
> will be forwarded to a known address and it will be up to the recipient
> whether he or she replies. Telephone messages will be taken down together
> with any identifying details of the recipient for later checking in our
> database. The message will be forwarded as above or deleted if that person
> is not at this institution."

However, when we receive a letter and the addressee is not here we return
that to the sender.

Does anyone else have a policy to deal with unsolicited correspondence?

Mike Lloyd

Assistant Head (ISELS)
ISELS
University of Glamorgan
Llantwit Road
Treforest
Pontypridd CF37 1DL

tel: 01443 482417
fax: 01443 482424
email: [log in to unmask]

            All user commands can be found at : -
    www.jiscmail.ac.uk/user-manual/summary-user-commands.htm
all commands go to [log in to unmask] not the list please!