Ah Paula - that is a different matter - if they are acting on behalf of a
member of public and have their signed approval to act on their behalf
(letter of complaint or other) then that is fine but they cannot just go on
fishing expeditions e.g. if they were acting  for one Council house tenant
against another for perhaps say noise - they could not just go in to a
Council building and demand the file on the person who was apparently making
the noise.  I tried to get this message through at Induction but am about to
do some follow up training.  I can understand this happening though as you
may get a Junior Clerical Assistant and someone says ...Can you deal with
Councillor ........ they may feel slightly intimidated and may feel obliged
to give the information to him/her.
I think what I really mean is that Councillors will have access to freely
available information e.g. the Intranet etc. but only with specific consent
can they see personal files.
Interesting though Paula.
Regards
Doreen Broom