At 4:18 pm +0000 on 28/11/01, "Beadle, Tim"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote :

>This is true, but isn't this entire discussion a "red herring"? If the data
>is simply stored on videotape it is, to all intents and purposes NOT a
>database and is certainly NOT searchable as there is no structure related to
>the personal data (the image). A time/date stamp would not make it
>searchable UNLESS there was a separate database that contained that
>information AND linked it to the individual. Therefore it does NOT fall
>under the ambit of the DPA - whatever Ms France may choose to say on the
>subject - any more than a random sheaf of papers on my desk does. It is only
>IF the data is organised in a way that makes the PERSONAL data searchable
>either directly or indirectly that it falls under the ambit of the DPA - or
>am I missing something?

You're missing something!

No one mentioned videotape. The personal image/s are stored in
digital form on a computer, and hence can be (and indeed, must be!)
indexed. The personal data involved in renting a van is stored
electronically along with the digitised photograph... which makes it
personal data?

However, despite helpful comments, I'm still somewhat unclear whether
it's a) OK when renting a van to take my photograph without my
permission and b) having done so, to then store the photograph in
digital form without time limit...

- duncan
Dr Duncan Langford  Computing Laboratory, University of Kent at Canterbury UK
Practical Computer Ethics:McGrawHill   Business Computer Ethics:AddisonWesley
      'Internet Ethics' - MacMillan Press (UK) and St Martins Press (USA)

            All user commands can be found at : -
    www.jiscmail.ac.uk/user-manual/summary-user-commands.htm
all commands go to [log in to unmask] not the list please!