** Reply to note from [log in to unmask]         Wed, 28 Nov 2001 06:51:59 EST

> << What if a crime comes to light in a years time, using that van?? Would that
>  not then be justified. Just a thought (thinking about some appeals on
>  Crimewatch and the like)!! >>
> --------------
> Data cannot be held for this purpose (just in case) by anyone other than the
> police or under a particular statute.  Many crimes remain unsolved because no
> evidence exists because it has been deleted, if everyone kept everything for
> ever, just in case, there would be no storage space left for normal
> processing.  Where a crime is caught on camera, the tapes/hard disks come
> under PACE rules and can be kept for evidence purposes well beyond the normal
> retention rules for DPA.
>
> Appeals on Crimewatch using retained video footage are useful but the crime
> is obvious and have been retained under PACE but "just in case" is not
> sufficient justification for keeping video images indefinitely.  Besides,
> this would mean that hundreds or thousands of finnocent people would have
> their details kept for no reason or purpose.  Surely the innocent people
> would gladly respond to the appeal "did you rent this van in 1999?"  Then the
> ones who didn't see Crimewatch that week can be arrested . . . . only joking!!
>
> Maybe we should name and shame the van hire company for not complying with
> the Code of Practice on CCTV issued by the OIC.

And maybe not ...  There again some assistant who does not know says whatever
comes to mind.  They keep data indefinately, oh come on :-)  Maybe 1 or 2
months (and I doubt it) if that is how long it would take for a speeding
ticket to arrive from the police and the person hiring the van has given
false details.

Would be nice if someone just told the company to wake up.

Do I detect a bit of vigilantism in the last couple of messages?
I hope not :-))

Regards
Charles

Charles Christacopoulos, Secretary's Office, University of Dundee,
Dundee DD1 4HN, Scotland, United Kingdom.
Tel: +44+(0)1382-344891. Fax: +44+(0)1382-201604.
http://www.somis.dundee.ac.uk/
Scottish Search Maestro http://somis2.ais.dundee.ac.uk/

            All user commands can be found at : -
    www.jiscmail.ac.uk/user-manual/summary-user-commands.htm
all commands go to [log in to unmask] not the list please!