** Reply to note from [log in to unmask]         Mon, 29 Jan 2001 13:58:14 +0100

> Hi Paul,
> our act in Germany is split up in a section for the private and in section
> for the public sector. Following the fund raising discussion I came to the
> conclusion, that this has been very wise from the act constructors. As your
> school obviously belongs to the public sector you will not find anything
> about marketing in the public sector of our act. Conclusion: no problem!

Hi,

Kind of similar here but the point was lost along the way of the discussion.

For Higher Education Institutions, fundraising was/is not treated as
marketing, thus it is exempt from the stricter marketing guidelines.
However, fundraising over the telephone (or via fax, email etc) is subject to
a different set of guidelines (is it Telecommunications?) whereby if data
subjects have chosen to opt out from it we must adhere to their wishes.

The problem then lies in checking our data against the existing data base
which is not free.  Assuming a constant sream of fundraising activity, our
datasets ought to be checked monthly (an expensive business).

Maybe unlike Germany, UK Universities are expected to raise their own funds
alongside funding from the government ... hence we do market our activities.
Fundraising of course is not marketing :-)

Regards
Charles

Charles Christacopoulos, Secretary's Office, University of Dundee,
Dundee DD1 4HN, Scotland, United Kingdom.
Tel: +44+(0)1382-344891. Fax: +44+(0)1382-201604.
http://somis.ais.dundee.ac.uk/
Scottish Search Maestro http://somis2.ais.dundee.ac.uk/