I've had the same problem with the definition of direct marketing too. For
example, is our course choice mailing to all registered students inviting
them  to sign up for the following year marketing or not? Our current
approach is that it isn't and we are not offering an optout but we do tell
students at the outset that a use of their data is to tell them about
current and future study opportunities.
Advice from the ODPC was to ask ourselves whether particular items had a
competitive element about them i.e whether we were trying to promote
ourselves(or others) over other providers of those products/services. Items
of a general information nature could be distinguished. I'm not sure how
helpful this is though since there is often an element of both.
Gail Waters
DP Coordinator
Open University