From: Peter Wilson [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 4 October 2001 11:13
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Motor Insurance Anti-Fraud and Theft Databases

Y'all,
1. Apparently this register, run by the Assoc. of British Insurers and the
Claims and Underwriting Exchange Register, run by Insurance Database
Services Ltd hold information passed to them by insurers. The aim being to
prevenrt fraudulent claims.  Under the conditions of our policy (to drive
Uni vehicles) we must report any incident e.g. accident/theft (including
non-Uni vehicles)  which may or may not give rise to a claim.  This info is
then passed to the registers by the Uni.  (Insurers say this is common
practice)
2. Also, insurance cover details are added to the Motor Insurance Database,
run by the Motor Insurers' Information Centre (MIIC). Set up to help
identify uninsured drivers and may be searched by police to help confirm who
is insured to drive.
My questions are: Does this sound OK? Is there sensitive data involved?  Is
it fair processing  (by making it a condition of policy)?  Anybody any
experience of these DB's ? Views?

Peter

Peter Wilson
Data Protection Officer
University of Paisley

Legal disclaimer
--------------------------

The information transmitted is the property of the University of Paisley and
is intended only for the person or entity
material.  Statements and opinions expressed in this
e-mail may not represent those of the company.  Any review, retransmission,
dissemination and other use of, or taking
of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you received this in error, please contact the sender immediately and
delete the material from any computer.

            All user commands can be found at : -
    www.jiscmail.ac.uk/user-manual/summary-user-commands.htm
all commands go to [log in to unmask] not the list please!

NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER: