From: Trent,Tim [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 19, 2001 11:33 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Medical Data, sub issue

At the local school  where my wife works, there is a blackboard (no
surprises there,though I suspect we must now cal lit a "chalk board") in the
staff room.

Every time a staff member is ill, there is a note on the board:  "Jean
Smithers cannot come to work today, she has a migraine"

My take on this is that such a message is against the act.  It is the
display of private information in a public forum in a manner capable of
identifying the data subject, and containing serious personal data.

The school happens to be a local authority administered school, but this is
no different from it being private sector.

Do any of you, especially those with control of schools where this may be
commonplace, have any comments?
Tim Trent
Chief Privacy Officer EMEA
Gartner
EMEA Marketing, Tamesis,  The Glanty,  Egham,  Surrey,  United Kingdom,
TW20 9AW
Switchboard +44 (0)1784 431 611, Direct Line +44 (0)1784 267 335, Mobile
+44 (0)7710 126 618
Visit our home on the web:  http://www.gartner.com <http://www.gartner.com>

The opinions expressed in this message are my own, and may or may not
reflect those of my employer.  They are expressed as a part of the
discussion on the JISCMail mailing list on data protection and for no
other purpose.  They have no legal standing and are offered as part of
informed  and informal discussion.  They may NOT be attributed to
Gartner in any way.

            All user commands can be found at : -
    www.jiscmail.ac.uk/user-manual/summary-user-commands.htm
all commands go to [log in to unmask] not the list please!

This email is confidential and may also be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately by telephoning +44 (20) 7330 3000 and requesting the IT Helpdesk. You should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose its contents to any other person.

Allen & Overy
One New Change
London
EC4M 9QQ

Tel:+44 (20) 7330 3000
Fax: +44 (20) 7330 9999
General Email: [log in to unmask]
www: http://www.allenovery.com

Allen & Overy is a solicitors' partnership.  A list of the names of partners and their professional qualifications is open to inspection at the above office.  The partners are either solicitors or registered foreign lawyers.