From: J F Hitches [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 11 September 2001 16:44
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Section 35

You may recall that I recently raised a query on this list in relation to
SEction 35 of the DPA. I have now received the following, surprising
response, from the OIC which confounds the general view expressed by
respondents to my original query:

Thank you for your email of 5 September. You ask about Section 35(2) of the
DPA 1998 and whether the exemption (disclosure) relates only to legal
proceedings in which the data controller is involved. You indicate a
misconduct case, involving a statutory professional body.

The exemption is not restricted to cases involving data controllers but to
anyone who requires the information

For the purpose of obtaining legal advice, or is otherwise necessary for the
purposes of establishing, exercising, or defending legal rights.

For these purposes, I would consider proceedings involving the statutory
professional body as having the same weight as actual court appearance."

I have asked to the OIC to give further thought to their response. Their
interpretation seems to indicate that I can ask a data controller to provide
personal data of someone I just think may be a witness to my alleged
speeding offence so that I can obtain legal advice, and that the provision
of data would be acceptable.

This seems to provide a wonderful loophole for fishing trips and to be
against the spirit of so much of the Act.

John Hitches

J F Hitches

Data Protection Officer and

Information Security Officer

Kingston University

River House

53-57 High Street, Kingston upon Thames

Surrey, KT1 1LQ

Telephone/Fax: 020 8547 7768

E-mail: [log in to unmask]

The views expressed are those of the individual and

not necessarily those of the university.

All user commands can be found at : -

www.jiscmail.ac.uk/user-manual/summary-user-commands.htm

all commands go to [log in to unmask] not the list please!