Paul,

I can see the sense of your point 2 in relation to the example being
discussed, but I'm not sure about it as a general point. It would
imply that if you ask for consent, you give the individual an
_absolute_ veto over disclosure, in all circumstances, even if
disclosure  is in fact 'necessary' for one of the other schedule 2
purposes (and even in other respects the fairness requirement has
been met).

The implication of point 2 would be that, if you think disclosure may
be 'necessary', you should actively _avoid_ seeking consent.  Is
there IC guidance on this?

To take an extreme, but plausible example, this would  would mean
that if a psychiatrist asks a psychiatrically ill and potentially
dangerous patient for consent to pass  information about his
condition  to the GP and the patient refuses, the psychiatrist is
prohibited from passing the information on - even if this endangers
other people.

In that case the information would be sensitive data, requiring a
schedule 3 condition, one of which  expressly permits disclosure
after a refusal of consent [para 3(b) of Schedule 3] suggesting that
a refusal is not intended to exclude disclosure where is it necessary
on other grounds.

A similar conclusion could be drawn from s 7(4), which envisages that
information about a third party who has not consented to disclosure
(and perhaps even refused it), may be revealed in a subject access
request if it is still "reasonable in all the circumstances".

Maurice Frankel
Campaign for Freedom of Information