Dear colleagues,
Is anyone able to provide insight as to the treatment of queries regarding
UCAS applications. Here in our institution there are conflicting views as
to whether or not we should deal with enquiries from third parties (usually
parents). I would like to say that we will always only deal with the
applicant themself. However, you get the usual problem with issues of
customer care, along with the fact that the applicant's contract is with
UCAS at that early stage, not with us.
How do others deal with this situation?

Also, in more general terms, do other institutions have a policy for
dealing with general personal telephone enquiries. Do you have any policies
whereby you use a student number as a means of identifying individuals? Or
do you trust the caller that they are who they say they are? If the
information is particularly sensitive then I believe that calling the
person back on a number already recorded by the student themselves at
enrolment is sensible.

Any advice, shared experiences or advice received from the information
commissioner greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt Nunn
Southampton Institute

            All user commands can be found at : -
    www.jiscmail.ac.uk/user-manual/summary-user-commands.htm
all commands go to [log in to unmask] not the list please!