As an ex-Data Protection Officer, and for many years a Presiding Officer
within a Polling Station, as well as experience of working within an
Electoral Registration Office, I would like to put the record straight.

The 'Unique identifier' refererred to is your electoral number for that
year, and changes from year to year, depending on the number of people who
are on the register.

It is put on the counterfoil of the ballot paper so that in the case that
the election is contested, evidence can be provided.  I can assure you that
the ballot papers once counted and the counterfoils never meet once they
are separated unless this happens.  Also these are not kept for more than
1-2 years, the same applies for local authority elections.

I do not feel that there are data protection implications.  The ballot is
secret, and no one has access to the ballot papers unless it is formally
contested.  The Electoral Register is a public document and can be viewed
by anyone.

I do not think we need to get too concerned about this, elections have been
going on a long time, and  processes are in place  to protect the identify
of individuals.

Beverley Windibank
Administrative Manager
Southampton Institute

Stuart Cashmore <[log in to unmask]>@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> on
07/06/2001 14:28:59

Please respond to Stuart Cashmore <[log in to unmask]>

Sent by:  This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues