-----Original Message-----
From: David Logan
Sent: 01 June 2001 09:14
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: Re CCTV Footage

2) > The statutory duties relate to (for example) crime and disorder, town
     centre traffic,  and public safety.  Although CCTV is not specified in
law,
     it is the chosen methodology in most cases.

My problem is though as a creature of statute must a local authority claim
specific statutory authority for the use of cctv? To some extent I think
there is a solution in that local authorities have power to do anything
conducive to or incidental to their other functions. So, for instance, could
the local authority, as housing authority, use cctv images to monitor
council house estates - even to the extent of looking out for suspicious
activity within the estate (e.g. unusual number of visitors to any property;
"moonlight flits" from a property)? Could the Council, as licensing
authority, use cctv to determine if street traders have applied for and
obtained relevant licences?

3) >  The purposes stated must be the non-obvious ones

This still causes problems in determining the actual amount of detail to be
given on the sign, especially where the information may be shared between
various depts of the Council. (I could go about data matching but will we
leave that until next week?!)

4)  > Yes, CCTV images can be sensitive if for example they show a person's
      disbilities, physical health, mental condition, religion (from their
attire)
      etc., and they can be sensitive if they show an alleged or real
offence.

This is my concern - so does that mean that data controllers should act as
if all cctv images will be sensitive personal data to be on the safe side?

David Logan
West Dunbartonshire Council.