Hello all!

My name is Robin van Koert and I am a volunteer at Amnesty International
doing a research project on the RIP Act for Amnesty. I have just joined the
list and will mostly be lurking, but every now an then I may participate in
a discussion as well. It could be that by doing so I ask questions that
have long since been answered by the list. If so, I do apologize. In
response to Lewis Bourne's message I have the following question. Does Data
Protection Principle #3 not provide protection in this case? I would think
that personal data like names etcetera is not relevant for the purpose of
gathering statistical data on class sizes? I would think the information
gathering is excessive as compared to the purpose (as is/was the case with
the Census 2001, in my opinion). Am I to understand from Lewis Bourne's
message that principle #3 can be overruled by a whole range of authorities
in 'specific' cases? For my own research I am als interested in the
strength of Data Protection Principle #3, hence my question.

Best regards,

Robin van Koert

            All user commands can be found at : -
    www.jiscmail.ac.uk/user-manual/summary-user-commands.htm
all commands go to [log in to unmask] not the list please!