Doreen,

Section 10 - A data subject is entitled, at any time by notice in writing,
to require a data controller to cease or not to begin processing if the
processing is likely to cause *substantial* damage or *substantial* distress
to him or to another and that damage or distress would be unwarranted.

Section 10 does not apply where: (Schedule II para. 1-4)

- the data subject has given his consent;

- the processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the
data subject is a party;

- the processing is necessary for compliance with any legal obligation to
which the data controller is subject other than an obligation imposed by
contract;

This means that an employee can't just say 'stop processing personal
information about me'. He has to provide some evidence for you to base your
decision on. Some confused waffle from the HRA wouldn't be enough to meet
the 'substantial' requirement. You would have to be in breach of some of the
DPA principles. Note the last few words, "and that damage or distress would
be unwarranted". You can still cause him damage and distress if you feel its
warranted!!! ;)

Allan