In article <000501c0731a$30d78af0$2101a8c0@ksws2000>, Graham Smith
<[log in to unmask]> writes

>Perhaps one solution may be to adopt role-based identities?
>
>There was an excellent paper on this subject in a recent ACM journal that
>you may wish to read: unfortunately I cannot lay my hands on it at this
>moment.

It's an age old problem. Remembering we are talking about school
children here, the concept of roles is a rather difficult one. Yes,
there will occasionally be the "Captain of Hockey" and even the "Swot
from Form 5b"; but most of the time they really are just a bunch of
individual children.

>There are at least two specific problems with using given names as the basis
>for corporate email addresses:
>
>1. Duplication
> - What happens when the second "graham-smith@x" turns up?

Cambridge University (and indeed Freeserve) would add a number after his
name.

> - Even worse, what happens when the first "graham-smith@x" leaves and a
>helpful administrator aliases the now redundant account to the remaining
>person of that name?

That's a quite different, admin procedure problem.

>2. Tracing Individuals
> - If I suspected that Roland Perry (sorry, rpap, I was just stuck for an
>unusual name to use for this example) is a secret agent, will my suspicions
>be confirmed if email addressed to [log in to unmask] doesn't bounce?

In fact, you could easily set up MI5's email system to both bounce *and*
deliver all their email. However, this business of guessing email
addresses can just work for unusual combinations. You'd probably have to
try rperry and rolandp and a few other ones as well.

>Both of these problems might be solved by using role-based email addresses,
>and aliasing these to the user's logon id.

Yes, that's a very good idea, and one I always encourage, when the
situation is right. But it doesn't seem to me to be right for
schoolchildren.

>The use of role-based email
>addresses may also have the beneficial side-effect of discouraging personal
>use of corporate email facilities...

I'm not sure why you want to discourage that. Do you paint out the
office windows to discourage people using corporate light frequencies
;-)
--
Roland Perry