        We have an issue with house files held by our housing departments.

        Currently there is a file for each property owned by the Council,
and the information held can date back to 30's, 40's of last century - a
letter for Mrs Bloggs complaining about a gas light outside her house not
being put on by the gaslight man (don't joke!!). This sort of information is
interesting - for an archive of how we used to live - but hardly relevant
today - in fact Mrs Bloggs is probably dead - but other former tenants are
not, and their information regarding arrears, rents paid, right to buy
applications, neighbour complaints, are being kept indefinitely (because
they always have).

        I realise this information is obviously out of date and as they are
in manual files are going to have to be included in our registration (when
the time comes), in preparation for this, I would like the department to
prune their files down to something manageable. What do other Authorities
do?

Fiona Campbell
IT Team Principal
IT Services (Ext. 7258)

http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp

            All user commands can be found at : -
    www.jiscmail.ac.uk/user-manual/summary-user-commands.htm
all commands go to [log in to unmask] not the list please!