Dennis Barington-Light from Cambridge did a survey of other universities a
year or two ago about charging for transcripts and replacement degree
certificates. I have a summary of the responses I can e-mail to interested
parties (I'll send it to you 'off list').  The gist of the responses was:

* the majority of institutions now provide one transcript free of charge to
recent graduates whose grades can be printed from databases. Most of these
then levy a charge for additional copies.

* The majority levy a charge for less recent graduates, whose marks need to be
specially compiled from exam board records (anywhere between £5 and £25 plus a
smaller sum for each additional copy).