Forwarded from the emedia list ...

Subject: Cyber-Fairness Symposium
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 09:39:33 -0500
From:  "Alge, Bradley" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Colleagues,

I am interested in hearing from colleagues who have studied
information/communication technology from a justice/fairness angle. I
would like to organize a symposium for the 2002 Academy of Managmement
meetings on the following theme:

"Fairness in Cyberspace: The Challenge of Maintaining Justice in a
Networked Economy"

Jerry Greenberg, an expert in the area of organizational justice has
agreed to serve as a discussant, contingent on our ability to field a
lineup of interesting papers.

Papers could focus on the unique problems of fairness that arise as a
result of information technology. Some possible topics may include...

-Cyber-snooping: Privacy in performance monitoring, online snooping
-Cyber-slacking: Opportunities to goof-off while working offsite,
telecommuting
-Difficulties in maintaining interactional justice without in-person
contact
-Digital Divide: Social injustices created by unequal access to IT
-Accuracy and correctability can be enhanced, but does IT promote
Procedural Justice?
-Intellectual property rights: whose information is it (employee or
organization)?
-Equity issues in compensating IT/e-commerce workers
-Free speech, censureship online
-Equity in Internet Access, information access, telecommuting, etc.

Please email me directly at [log in to unmask] if you have done work
in this area and/or if you are interested in contributing a paper to the

symposium, or if you know someone else who might be interested. Thanks.

Bradley J. Alge
Assistant Professor
Krannert Graduate School of Management
1310 Krannert Bldg.
Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN 47907-1310
Ph: (765) 494-4483
Fax: (765) 496-1778
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Distributed through Cyber-Society-Live [CSL]: CSL is a moderated discussion
list made up of people who are interested in the interdisciplinary academic
study of Cyber Society in all its manifestations.To join the list please visit:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/cyber-society-live.html