Again, many thanks to all the responsders to my question about
putting new-lines in character strings.

It may not be the most portable way but it worked fine.  I appended
the value of achar(010) to the end of each "line" and then wrote the
resulting character variable (with many such new-lines embedded into
it) to the HDF file.  That did exactly what I wanted it to do.  If I
retrieve the text from the hdf file (a file descriptor annotation
to be more precise), it shows up as I formatted it, with all the
line-breaks in there.

Portability is not an issue here as the code in question is only going
to be run on a single platform (SGI Origin).

Catherine

Catherine Moroney            phone : (818) 393-3392
Jet Propulsion Laboratory    fax   : (818) 393-4802
MailStop 169-315             email : [log in to unmask]
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, CA  91109-8099