 > > It seems to be to be a result of the need for people to be different.  I
 > > find the % to be annoying.

Guess I missed the smiley that I presume belonged above.  Something I
find annoying is when people impugn the motives of others without good
cause.  Just because you disagree with the decision (and clearly
several people do) isn't reason to ascribe petty motives to those who
made it.  Perhaps it was even a poor decision; the point is at least
arguable.  But the motivation behind it was rather explicit and was
nothing so petty as a perceived need to be different.

For what its worth, I wasn't involved in making the decision, and the
% annoyed me at first also, but I've gotten used to it.

Jing Guo writes:

 > Does it have something to do with supporting operators?  For instance,
 > "b.x.c" could represent either "b .x. c" or "b%x%c".  How can a compiler
 > tell?

Indeed, that was exactly the issue.

--
Richard Maine                |  Good judgment comes from experience;
[log in to unmask]   |  experience comes from bad judgment.