Manfred Mudelsee writes:
 > I should like to know in which order the intrinsic function SUM adds the
 > array values. The order should be of importance as regards roundoff errors
 > of the result. Is it a secret of the compiler builders?

The standard does not specify.  Indeed, on a parallel machine, it is
even possible that some of the operations could be done in parallel.

If you have an application that is sensitive to the order for any
reason (roundofff sensitivity being a good reason), then you probably
should write out the code yourself instead of just using the intrinsic.

--
Richard Maine                |  Good judgment comes from experience;
[log in to unmask]   |  experience comes from bad judgment.