Peter Shenkin wrote:

[snips]

>How can I use F2k features if each vendor supplies only its
>own subset?  Answer:  I cannot, until all have implemented the
>full set.
>
>The standards committee would have better served the community
>by defining a smaller list of new features that everyone could
>and would implement, and save the rest for future standards.

[snips]

What I would like to agree here with Peter (though not his words) is that my
understanding of the committee was that no more than 5 years would elapse
before a new standard.

I think that Fortran 8x became a bit of a joke. Fortran 90 came out with
mainly the vector stuff that we had hoped for.  F95 was a "maintenance" issue,
with a few new things.  I love I0 and F0.n.

F2K is now starting to move into this jocular area.  Why did we not have an
F2k which addressed areas that the committee agreed on and suspended the areas
of C compatability and OO stuff to Y2005?  KEEP THE 5 YEARS MAINTENANCE
UPDATES!!

Over the top, but ....  Does the Fortran community want this compiler
overhead?

Regards, Paddy