I'm sorry if you thought I was insulting the people who work on the
standards.  I know I don't have the ability or energy it takes to do such a
good job.   Saying that "I find the % annoying"  is my opinion, which I am
free to have.  However, I'm pretty new to this list, which I mistakenly
assumes was for people who like to discuss Fortran issues.   I guess I'm
mistaken.   How do I remove myself from this list?

At 10:32 AM 10/23/01 -0700, you wrote:
>  > > It seems to be to be a result of the need for people to be different.  I
>  > > find the % to be annoying.
>
>Guess I missed the smiley that I presume belonged above.  Something I
>find annoying is when people impugn the motives of others without good
>cause.  Just because you disagree with the decision (and clearly
>several people do) isn't reason to ascribe petty motives to those who
>made it.  Perhaps it was even a poor decision; the point is at least
>arguable.  But the motivation behind it was rather explicit and was
>nothing so petty as a perceived need to be different.
>
>For what its worth, I wasn't involved in making the decision, and the
>% annoyed me at first also, but I've gotten used to it.
>
>Jing Guo writes:
>
>  > Does it have something to do with supporting operators?  For instance,
>  > "b.x.c" could represent either "b .x. c" or "b%x%c".  How can a compiler
>  > tell?
>
>Indeed, that was exactly the issue.
>
>--
>Richard Maine                |  Good judgment comes from experience;
>[log in to unmask]   |  experience comes from bad judgment.
>                              |        -- Mark Twain

Bob Cohen
(703) 534-7618