I think you're looking in the wrong place.   I expect that the disk did get
full and that when the program ended it deleted the space.   Fragmentation
will effect the speed of the process, but shouldn't stop the disk from
filling completely.    If you know the record size of the output file(s)
and the number of records to be written you should be able to estimate how
much space you need.    I think you'll need to clear up some more
space.   Defragmentation can't hurt.  Win 98 has a utility to do
that.  START -> Acessories -> systems tools - Defrag...

At 09:29 AM 8/1/01 -0600, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I was hoping someone out there could give me some advice on preventing disk
>fragmentation while running F90 source code on a PC.
>
>I run on a PC with Windows 98 (Second Edition) installed.  I use the Microsoft
>Developer Studio - Fortran Power Station 4.0 (F90) compiler.  The OS
>uses the FAT 32 file system.
>
>My program accesses hundreds of files as it runs and the problem is that
>before
>the program can finish, I get an error that says I've run out of disk space.
>If I reboot the machine immediately after this error I see that I still have
>plenty of disk space left (650Mb out of a 2Gb hard drive) - this is plenty for
>this problem.
>
>Are there any F90 methods or different compiler options that I can use to open
>and close files differently which will allow the program to run to
>completion, or is this a problem I am stuck with in a Windows
>environment?  If this is peculiar to Windows, would I be able to alleviate the
>problem by partitioning my disk and using Linux as my OS?
>
>Thanks for any help,
>Mike Steinkamp
>--
>.