This has all turned out to be a wild goosechase and I apologise to all those
who have made fruitless searches trying to answer my original question. This
exercise certainly highlights how poor referencing can cause problems for
researchers. In his own book, the author cited his own article as being
published in 'Caribbean Studies Journal'. Anyway, I decided to track him
down on the email and ask him for the full reference and here it is!!

  "Journal of Caribbean Studies" vol. 7
Numbers 2 &3, Winter 1989/Spring 1990.  Published by the Association of
Caribbean Studies, P.O. Box 22202, Lexington, KY  40522.   ISSN: 0190-2008.
Library of Congress Card Catalogue Number:  83-73518.

Many thanks to all of you who assisted me in trying to find the journal. At
least we have come up with the names of various journals dedicated to the
study of the Caribbean.

Thanks
Amanda