Hello, everybody--

Resurfacing to plug Alison's immodestly (if not quite inaccurately)
self-described "unreview" in SLOPE (http://slope.org/slope/croggon.html), a
reading of Prynne at the furthest most point of the spectrum from that
mindless bit of doggerel posted recently--and from a print source where, I
imagine, a real poem was denied space in preference to it (days of shame,
days of shame!).

Fortunately, we are also blessed these days with such virtual alternatives
as Ethan Paquin's SLOPE, where fine poetry and such extraordinary prose/poem
reviews as Alison's are made available for screen-dreaming on. Her reading
of Prynne--intelligent, insightful, and as exquisitely sensitive to its own
processing as to his process and procedures (follow the money! lap up the
honey!)--ranks for me, among poetic/critical engagements with his work, up
there with John Kinsella's GRAPHOLOGY. That's a poem-of-a-reading, while
Alison's is more of a reading-as-poem, but I'd be hard pressed to say which
is more poem, more reading. Not that it matters one whit--the important
thing being what we get when one poet reads another as such, in both senses,
and produces poetry in response, as both Croggon and Kinsella have done in
the process of processing Prynne.

These are the readers we all want (but go in wont of, all too often), and
these are the readers we all want to be, if we know what's good for us.

Candice