Thanks. Given what you say about the periodic roundups, along with Wilson's
having been told about the current prison-rehab program by both a cab driver
and a govt. official, she could simply have had the bad luck to hit town in
the wake of one. And maybe it wasn't such bad luck if it made her look
beyond a cultural phenomenon as conspicuous as you indicate this one is.

Do you know anything about the "animationists" she describes as the new
breed of tourist-hotel "entertainment" workers? I'd never heard of them, and
the term itself sounds like something spawned by an online translation
generator. I couldn't tell from the article what sorts of entertainment
these animationists actually provide--escort service? stand-up comedy? beach
blanket bingo?

Candice