Mark wrote:

>I'm very wary of single answers. Campbell, in reducing all cultures to the
>One Culture, seems to be describing our deepest souls as "man gotta eat,
>man gotta fuck." True enough, if one includes women. But not very useful
>for understanding the varieties of behaviors and cultures.

Agreed, completely.

>So the question becomes, is fear the only factor? And if, ultimately, it is
>the generative factor (and I doubt we can posit only one such), does
>knowing this explain enough to be adequat for understanding the details of
>behavior and perhaps even present a way of changing them? I don't think so.

No, probably not - but the fact remains that taking fear out of human
interactions tends to have a remarkably positive effect on behaviour.  Only
it's a bit difficult if the fear is, say, fear of death... Christopher
mentioned mysticism earlier, and surely that's a factor in this question -
and mysticism is one of the things that happens when fear, sex and death
get into the same crucible (cf Bataille, or St John of the Cross, or St
Therese) - which leads us back to the gender question...

But I'll shut up now, because anything I say here is going to be
inadequate.  Just to clarify that I'm far from thinking it's the _only_
thing at play in what's happening worldwide now - but it's there, it's
there...

Best

Alison Croggon

Home page