We're exploring this also at City College Manchester - even though we've not fully rolled out the program.

In Level 1 it appears to us that the easiest way of batching staff, students, courses and enrolments is to contain all the necessary info in a database (at this stage we're using MS Access but it could just as well be your MIS systems) and then use the database to create the necessary batches.

The only downside to this is that there is a limit of 500 items (records) per batch file - we have been advised to fall short of this limit - which would entail a number of users feeding batch files into Blackboard. Luckily, the process is pretty quick!

Peter Edge
Web Developer
City College Manchester

>>> Stephen McCready <[log in to unmask]> 09/04/01 10:37:59 >>>
Jim,

We've recently batch created all of our modules and students and enrolled
all of the students in their respective modules.

You use the Batch Create Courses in Course Utilities to create the courses
Batch Create Users in the User Utilities to create the users...

Then batch enroll to enroll of your students into their modules.

As easy (pah!) as that!

Stephen

on 4/9/01 10:20 AM, Jim Aiton at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> At St Andrews, we have started to look at implementing an MLE and are
> looking at Blackboard
>
> A question from our evaluation team
>
> Could anyone who uses Blackboard Level 1, tell us if they have found a way
> to batch upload information about students and courses? It's supposed to be
> a feature of Level 3 but we're wondering if there is a way of avoiding
> entering students and staff IDs and courses by hand.
>
> ta
> jim
> Jim Aiton
> School of Biology
> Division of Biomedical Sciences
> Bute Medical Buildings
> University of St Andrews
> St Andrews
> Fife KY16 9TS
> Scotland, UK
>
> Tel: 01334 463543 (direct line)         e-mail: [log in to unmask]
> Fax: 01334 463600           http://biology.st-andrews.ac.uk/staff/aiton.html

Stephen McCready - UCS and Learning and Teaching Support Unit
University of Newcastle upon Tyne - http://www.newcastle.ac.uk
          Voice: 0191 222 3479   Fax: 0191 222 5565

       Book your Blackboard training session NOW at
     <http://www.ncl.ac.uk/ltsu/getting_started.htm>