I'm just posting about the recent job adverts posted to the list for  qualified
archivists starting on Scale 4 in Worcestershire and Norfolk. My own office
(Nottinghamshire) advertised a scale 4 conservators post in this way last year,
so I'm not pointing fingers, however, it doesn't seem reasonable to allow
individuals and organisations to get round the Society's stated policy of not
accepting adverts below scale 5 by advertising directly to the membership on
the list.
Surely the only way to get salaries increased is by making it impossible to
attract qualified applicants? At the 2000 Conference Nigel Hardman chaired a
discussion on the archival job market - would this be a suitable subject for
research, if only to see how many institutions lower salary scales may apply
to? And also to find a collective way forward towards getting them increased?
Any thoughts on this anyone?

Jenny Moran