Thanks to all the replies to my plea.  They've all been extremely helpful although I must admit that we haven't come to a decision as to what to charge yet!

Here's a summary of the replies (including a summary of the replies which were received the last time the question was asked):

Those who said no to photography - RIBA Library, Oxford Colleges, LSE, Essex RO, LMA, Nat Lib of Wales, Hackney Archives Dept, East Kent Archives Centre, Post Office Archives.

Devon, Birmingham, Scottish Borders, Gloucester, Suffolk, Nottinghamshire, Somerset, Tyne and Wear, Worcestershire, Cumbria, Hertfordshire and Lancashire Record Offices and the University of Birmingham Library all allow readers to take their own photographs.  Charges range from none at all and then from £2 to £15 both per hour and as a flat rate.  Justifications for the charges are generally for either the use of a separate room or for staff supervision.

Some offices make readers order the material they would like to photograph in advance whereas others consult with the reader first over whether things can be photographed.  One record office requires the negative to be deposited within a month of the photograph being taken.

Most offices insist on no flash being used and make sure the documents are carefully handled.  One record office also puts a permission / copyright statement slip and full reference next to the document whilst it is photographed.  None of the offices that answered my question limit the amount of shots per image.

Lyn Morgan
Archivist
Sheffield Libraries Archives and Information Services

Sheffield Archives and Conservation Unit
52 Shoreham Street
Sheffield
S1 4SP

Archives Tel: +44 (0) 114 203 9395
Conservation Tel: +44 (0) 114 203 9399
Fax: +44 (0) 114 203 9398
For Archives e-mail: [log in to unmask]
For Conservation Unit e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Please include YOUR FULL POSTAL ADDRESS IN ALL CORRESPONDENCE