I'm sorry, but I'm so annoyed about this that I am having a second say.

Alan Carter's message has reminded me why I am an archivist rather than a museum curator.  Its because I was looking for a second career in either field.  When I worked as an unqualified archives officer in a museum, I tried to start the Museums' Association (MA) Diploma by distance learning, through the MA.  The "old" SoA Diploma wasn't available to me.  Just as I was enquiring, the MA withdrew it, just as the SoA proposes to do now with its own qualification.  It took a couple more years of hard times before I could get into a job which gave me the opportunity to take the then new SoA Diploma.  I was very grateful for that opportunity, and would not wish to see it removed for others.

And finally, are we still going to be able to support the Registration Scheme, or is that also to become outdated ?

Paul Sillitoe

---