The West Yorkshire Archive Service is developing plans for a new centralised archive provision, with local ICT links.

We are looking at storage design options, and would be interested to hear from any colleague with knowledge or experience of mechanised or semi-mechanised physical storage, whether of records management containers, or of standard archive boxes, or indeed of other formats.   'Mechanisation' in this context might, for example, enable us to stack high or densely, and still meet Health and Safety requirements: it may well involve automation in terms of ICT, but would not necessarily pre-suppose it.  Does such provision exist for archives/RM, anywhere in the world?  We need to be brave and look at all the options.

Keith Sweetmore
Area Manager
West Yorkshire Archive Service